Saturday, November 20, 2010

Taco Dip

As you may know, I grew up in Iowa and recently moved to Texas. Among other challenges, I have had to overcome my withdrawl from Anderson Erickson dairy products. And in reference to this post, I greatly miss their Mexican dip. I'm still not over it.

Here in Texas, the chip dips just aren't the same. This is what inspired Jeremiah to make this taco dip. It is reminiscent of the AE Mexican dip, super simple, and a worthy substitution for the less fortunate folks who do not have access to Anderson Erickson dairy. You could also do so many things with this dip!

Here this dip is served with nacho Doritos. I think the cheese flavor goes well with the taco seasoning. But I'm sure you could use a different chip; maybe even use something healthy, like carrots or other vegetables. For all of you crazy sports fans out there, this would be a nice game time snack. Or you could be cool like me and have it as a snack while you watch Little House on the Prairie or Home Improvement!

Taco Dip (Print)
from Jeremiah, my husband
Prep: 5 minutes / Chill: 2 hours
Yield: 1 cup of dip

1/4 cup light mayonnaise
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1-1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover, and chill!

My suggestions:
  • Use mild or spicy taco seasoning
  • Add in some jalapenos or other peppers
  • Use this to make a layered taco dip with refried beans, cheese, onions, and tomatoes
  • Use this in place of sour cream on your tacos

2 comments:

  1. Wisconsin to Texas is quite a difference!! I went from Texas to New Jersey, at the time my biggest misery was the lack of Dr. Pepper in the North east...lol..thats how long ago it was! I know the dairy products up your way are amazing, and I can understand why you miss them so....thanks for sharing your dip with us, I do love doritos!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed that the dip was good considering the light mayonaise and reduced fat sour cream, since I am used to all the tastefully simple dips not using them. Glad you found something that can make up for missing ole AE. I will have some dip and Doritos on hand for you all at Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete