Originally from my sister's co-worker, this Weight Watchers soup is a delicious spin off the old chili staple. Lots of legumey goodness, corn, and seasonings will make your taste buds smile. Cheap and easy to prepare, this soup will quickly be on your list of weeknight dinners. Go ahead and try this guilt-free comfort food!
Prep: 10 minutes / Cook: 15-30 minutes
Serves: a bunch! maybe 8-10
1 pound ground turkey or beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can chili beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn (with no added salt)
1 can tomatoes with diced green chiles
1 can water
1 packet, or 3 T, ranch dressing mix/seasoning
1 small onion, diced, optional
1. Brown meat. Add taco seasoning according to directions. If you use an onion, add it to the meat and cook for a few additional minutes.
2. While meat is cooking, open all the cans and pour into a large pot. Do not drain any of the cans. Add a can of water, I usually divide the water among each of the bean cans, just to get all the juice. Add the ranch seasoning.
3. Add meat to the beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: 1 Weight Watchers point per cup
This soup is great with cornbread muffins! Bake them while the soup simmers, it's so easy! Try topping the soup with some shredded cheese, or add a dolop of sour cream to your bowl if you want a creamy flavor. Whatever you do, make some cornbread to go with it! Continue reading below for my review.
- Preparation: 5
- Super easy and fast!
- Taste: 5
- This soup is delicious! We even eat it year round!
- Cost: 5
- This stuff is dirt cheap! And great leftovers are guaranteed!
- Clean-up: 5
- Two pans, easy.
- I wouldn't make any changes, but this recipe is easy to alter.
- I don't use the onion, just because I don't think it adds that much flavor.
- If you like hot & spicy, use just plain diced tomatoes and then add a separate can of diced green chiles. You could even use spicy taco seasoning if you like.
- While this soup is healthy, it is high on sodium. I buy corn with no salt added to reduce some of the sodium content, you won't tell I promise. I don't think beans come that way, otherwise I would get those with less sodium too.
- Ranch seasoning comes in packets or a container. The container is cheaper in the long run, so that is what we use. 3 tablespoons equals one packet.
- Super easy, super delicious, what are you waiting for? Get cookin'!