Saturday, October 9, 2010

Autumn Chowder

Nothing says autumn to me like a delicious bowl of soup. This chowder is savory and delicious! Perfect for a cozy fall evening!


Autumn Chowder
adapted from Taste of Home online

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2/3 cup water
1/2 chicken buillon cube
3/4 tsp rosemary herb seasoning mix*
1 cup milk
2/3 cup frozen corn
1/8 tsp pepper
2-1/2 tsp flour (optional)
2 T cold water (only if using flour)
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Saute onion with a small amount of cooking oil in a large saucepan, until tender. Add potato, carrot, water, chicken buillon and rosemary. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the milk, corn, and pepper. Cook, covered, on medium for 5 minutes. If thicker soup is desired, mix flour and water until smooth, add to soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
Yield: 2 servings

Nutrition facts: 473 calories, 30 g fat, 16 g saturated fat, 77 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.

My Review
  • Preparation: 4
    • This soup took about 40 minutes start to finish, very simple to make.
  • Taste: 5
    • I will definitely make this soup again! It was thick and savory. My husband loved the corn, he said it added a sweet pop to the soup!
  • Cost: 5
    • This is a budget-friendly recipe. Simple and inexpensive ingredients definitely will not disappoint your taste buds!
  • Clean-up: 5
    • This was an easy clean-up meal. All cooked in one pan and only a cutting board besides that!
  • Changes
    • I altered the soup from the original recipe. I did not have bacon but I read on the reviews that it didn't really add much to the soup. I also added more veggies and seasoning.
    • *The rosemary herb seasoning mix is from Pampered Chef. I absolutely love it! I use it all the time in soups, broth, chicken, roasted vegetables, really anything! I honestly don't think I could live without it, and I'm not even being paid to say that! Click here to see it on their website.
    • I baked some french bread a few weeks ago and had frozen a loaf. I set the bread out in the morning and it was thawed and ready by lunchtime. I stuck it in the oven at 350 for about 7 minutes, it tasted fresh and it was a great compliment to the soup!
  • Summary
    • This is truly a delicious chowder! It is super easy to make and it smells so good! I will definitely be making it again; give it a try yourselfand let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect for a cool Fall night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really delicious! The less veggies the better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope, I added more veggies you see. And if you don't come see me soon, I will triple the veggies in anything I make for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEP!!! You would't DARE!!!

    ReplyDelete