Shepherd's Pie (Print)
from Pampered Chef
Prep: 30 minutes / Bake: 20-30 minutes (depending on thickness)
Yield: 6-8 servings
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups frozen vegetables (I used frozen peas, frozen corn, and fresh carrots)
12 ounces beef gravy
2-4 cups mashed potatoes (Original recipe says 2...but I need more than that!)
4 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet, cook ground meat, onion, and garlic. Drain as needed. Meanwhile, begin to boil the potatoes and prepare as you desire.
2. Add salt, thyme, pepper, vegetables, and gravy. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 mintues, stirring frequently.
3. Spoon into desired baking dish. (Two 8 x 8 pans, one 9 x 13 pan, or one 9 x 9 pan). Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness, until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (based on 8 servings): 305 calories, 16 g fat, 650 mg sodium, 3 g fiber
- Preparation: 4
- This dish takes about one hour start to finish, depending on how efficient you are with preparing the mashed potatoes :)
- Taste: 5
- My husband and I both loved it, and I've got another one in the freezer that we will be eating!
- Cost: 5
- A very cost-friendly meal.
- Clean-up: 3
- I had a skillet, pot, colander, and baking dish.
- The vegetables in this casserole can easily be interchanged. As I mentioned in the recipe, I used fresh and frozen vegetables. Use whatever your taste buds enjoy!
- Very simple, so delicious, and satisfying. You just can't go wrong with a casserole!