But back to my steak. In this episode, Alton teaches you about all the different cuts of beef, how to choose a good piece of meat, and the most delicious way to cook a steak. Which is what this post is all about! Here's the process: Hot cast iron skillet, meat seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper, and canola oil. Sear the steak in the skillet, then finish it off in the oven. And that's all! No fancy marinades, seasonings, or sauces. This steak is good all by itself. It's tender, juicy, full of flavor, and as my husband said, "just as good as a restaurant's." Go ahead, give it a try. And check out some Good Eats episodes while you're at it!
Cast Iron Seared Steak (Print)
from Good Eats
Prep: 5 minutes / Cook: 5 minutes
Note: If you want the full effect, watch the clip here. It's great information!
1. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Place the cast iron skillet in the oven to warm up.
2. Season the steak with a good amount of salt and pepper. Lighlty coat both sides with canola oil.
3. Take the pan out of the oven and place it on the stove on high heat. Put the steak in the pan and do not touch it for 30 seconds. Turn it over for another 30 seconds on the other side.
4. Place the pan in the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. The length of time can vary, based on the thickness of your steak and the level of doneness you desire. See the information below for temperature ranges.
5. Take the steak out of the oven and let it rest for 3 minutes to allow the juice to soak into the meat. Lightly cover with foil and elevate the steak on a bowl to prevent any drippings from making the crispy crust turn soggy.
6. Cut the steak and enjoy!
Rare: 120-130 degrees
Medium Rare: 130-145 degrees
Medium: 145-155 degrees
Well: 155 + degrees
- Preparation: 5
- This takes about 10 minutes, can't beat that!
- Taste: 5
- Better than a restaurant, and cheaper too!
- Cost: 4
- Depends on the kind of steak that you get and if there's a sale.
- Clean-up: 5
- This is a one-pan deal!
- The better the meat, the better the steak. We didn't buy the most expensive cut of meat, but it was still great!
- This was super simple and very delicious! I hope you will give this a try!