Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chicken Taquitos

I took the plunge and changed the face of my blog. This was hard for me. Even though I was getting tired of the little floating flower things on the sides and the greenish color, I tend to get sentimental about little details. I wanted something more sophisticated. I'm excited because now I can make my pictures bigger too. I would love to know what you think!

For today, I have a delicious, inexpensive, and healthy meal to share with you! This comes from Hungry Girl, who is well known for her guilt-free recipes.


These chicken taquitos are packed full of flavor, you would never guess that they are light and healthy! I loved the flavor of the corn tortillas. And don't be afraid of the canned chicken, it is moist and tender. I admit, I sort of felt like I was opening a can of cat food, but these definitely tasted better than cat food! (although, I've never actually tried cat food). I enjoyed these with salsa and sour cream, and a kale salad on the side...however, I really didn't like the raw kale so I might not be sharing that recipe with you as I had planned! But in the end, this meal was healthful and delicious, and I know I will be making them again in the future. This simple recipe puts those frozen taquitos to shame!

Note: The recipe said to use a 9.75 or 10-ounce can of chicken. I found neither, so I used (2) 5-ounce cans.

Chicken Taquitos (Print)
from Hungry Girl 123
Prep: 25 minutes / Bake: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

10-ounces canned 98% fat-free white chicken breast in water, drained and flaked into small pieces
1/2 cup salsa
1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese (I used regular cheese)
1/4 teaspoon dry taco seasoning mix
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Nonstick cooking spray
Toothpicks
Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, enchilada sauce

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

2. After 15 minutes, add the cheese and taco seasoning to the chicken. Mix and set aside.

3. Dampen two paper towels and place the tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.

4. Take one tortilla and very lightly spray each side with nonstick spray. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the chicken onto the tortilla (I 'scored' my filling into 8 slices, like a pizza, so that I knew I had even amounts). Spread it evenly over the whole surface. Roll up the tortilla. Place seam-side down on the baking sheet and place a toothpick in the center to secure. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

5. Bake for 14-16 minutes, until crispy. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve!

NUTRITION FACTS: 2 tortillas equals: 197 calories, 2.5g fat, 594mg sodium, 22.5g carbs, 3g fiber, 2g sugar, 20.5g protein.

My Review


  • Preparation: 4
    • Prep is easy, but the chilling time puts this the the category of 30-60 minutes.
  • Taste: 4
    • These were delicious, but not exactly to-die-for. I will be making them again I'm sure.
  • Cost: 5
    • Canned chicken is a great bargain.
  • Clean-up: 5
    • One bowl and a baking sheet.
  • Changes
    • I'm sure that you could add some heat to these taquitos with peppers or spicy salsa.
    • I think that beans would make a worthy filling for a vegetarian version.
  • Summary
    • These are quick and delicious; and so much better than the frozen version!

1 comment:

  1. These sound like something I would really like! Easy too, not many ingrediants. You cat food comment mad me laugh!

    The new blog looks great! I understand the sentimental details thing.

    ReplyDelete