Eggs and Crackers (Print)
from the Cooper family
Prep: 8 minutes
Eggs (usually 2 per person)
Butter, to taste (real butter, spread, margarine)
Saltine crackers (8-12 per person)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large saucepan filled halfway with water to boil. Gently lower in eggs with a spoon. Cook eggs in the boiling water for 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
2. Carefully remove the eggs from the water. Now you will need to remove the shell. You can do this a couple of ways, but no matter how you choose, be prepared to handle hot eggs!
- One method is to cut the egg in half with a knife (butter knife works fine), and then scoop out the white with a spoon. Be sure to have a bowl under you to catch the runny yolk.
- Another method is to tap the end of the egg on the counter and then peel off the shell, similar to how you would peel a hard-boiled egg. As you can see from the picture, this is the way my husband did it and he was getting very good at shelling the egg in as few as two pieces!
4. Now you will want to add the crackers. Crush in a few at a time and mix. The number of crackers you use will depend on how much yolk you want absorbed.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preparation: 5
- This is super quick and easy!
- Taste: 5
- I've made it many times and I know I will make it again.
- Cost: 5
- This is very inexpensive!
- Clean-up: 5
- One saucepan. And it only had boiling water in it. Technically you may not have to wash it...
- None for me, but maybe you would like to add different spices, cheese, hot sauce, ketchup...I've heard of people that actually like ketchup on their eggs!?
- Eggs and crackers are fun to make, simple, and bring back great memories for me. Those are some of the best meals.