Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cheesy Potato Casserole


I made this recipe for our Thanksgiving meal. My family has been enjoying it on the holidays for several years and it is always a big hit. This is a popular potluck dish, but I can promise you that I have never had a version as good as this one. And trust me, I'm a potato expert.

Cheesy Potato Casserole (Print)
from my sister
Prep: 20 minutes / Bake: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings

For the casserole
30 ounce bag frozen hash browns, defrosted
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 large/family size cream of chicken condensed soup (you won't use it all)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded (or more if you like!)

For the topping
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the casserole ingredients in order and mix well. About the cream of chicken soup: you won't need all the soup. You will probably only need 16-20 ounces of it. Basically, decide how creamy you want the casserole. I would err on the side of too little if you can. I suppose you could just get 2 small cans of soup, but I like the freedom of the big can I guess.

2. Spread casserole ingredients into a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Mix the crushed corn flakes and butter; put on top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until center is hot and bubbly.

3. You can also make this casserole a day ahead. If so, skip the corn flakes topping and cover the dish with foil. Keep it in the refrigerator until 30 minutes before you need to bake it. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, if possible, before baking. Top with corn flakes and bake as directed.

My Review
  • Preparation: 5
    • Very simple to put together. It's also great because you can make it ahead of time.
  • Taste: 5+
    • This really is the best cheesy casserole. I promise. If you make it and don't agree with me, then it's not my fault. You probably added too much or too little soup. Sorry, but it's true. You gotta get it just right and then you will be in love too!
  • Cost: 5
    • Cheap and delicious! Yummy as leftovers too (if you're lucky enough)!
  • Clean-up: 5
    • One dish and a mixing bowl. You could even eliminate the mixing bowl and be lazy like me by mixing it in the baking dish. Although this is somewhat difficult, so I say just wash the mixing bowl too!
  • Changes
    • None. Although I do wish I could make this for everyone, because you haven't lived until you have tried this cheesy potato casserole. Don't let the condensed soup scare you!
  • Summary
    • Go make this!!

2 comments:

  1. Cheese and carbohydrates. Pretty much doesn't get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my recipe and yes it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete